Friday, June 8, 2012

A Trip Down Memory Lane

FYI ,I'm actually typing this! Thanks so much for all your well wishes,they mean a lot! I never knew how useful teeth could be getting things done.  Since I'm not able to show any cross stitch updates, I decided to share the first sampler I did after moving to Washington.  First, I need to say that while living in Louisville, I was spoiled with a very good LNS.  Out here, I have to travel almost all day to get to a shop.  That includes a thirty dollar ferry ride. The first summer we were here, we took a day trip to Victoria,BC.  I found a cute little shop called Buttons&Needlework Boutique.  I bought the biggest sampler I could find not knowing when I would get back.  I'm showing you that sampler today. I have now discovered the wonderful world of on-line cross stitch supplies! Life is good! I love Victoria so I'm including pictures of this lovely town. These pictures were taken when a dear friend and her husband were here at Christmas.  We went up to have Christmas tea at famous Empress Hotel.


Rhoda Hastings 1863 by Samplers and Such.  I used the recommended linen and threads.





This is at the bottom.  She included many family names.

This is the top portion.  Stitching this took several months!


 To get to Victoria, we have to drive to Port Angeles ,WA, then take a ferry across the Straits of Juan de Fuca.


Victoria is the capital of B.C. so there are many government buildings.









 This was taken inside the Empress Hotel.

 Getting ready for the tea.



We are on the ferry going home. You see many of these little sea planes.
Thank you so much for taking a look at my blog.  I hope you all have a wonderful week-end!!

12 comments:

  1. Wow Barb! You're doing good! I have never been to Victoria but always wanted to go. I guess it's beautiful there in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sampler looks marvelous and explains to us itself why it took several months to finish!

    Victoria looks a very lovely city and the governmental buildings remind me Rotterdam! Very Dutchish! I wonder, who were the founders of the city?

    Thanks for the wonderful pictures to share with us!

    Wish you a great week to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhoda is beautiful! She has great colors.
    It almost seems easier to call up a shop that ships or order online versus taking all that time to get to a shop. I do try to check them out when I am near one though.
    Lovely pics of Victoria!
    Keep healing so you can stitch again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY for you! Sounds like you are on the fast track to being able to stitch soon!

    Rhoda is stunning! Just beautiful.

    Thank you for sharing these pics. Looks like a beautiful place to live. My sister-in-law lives in Gig Harbor. Is that close to you? They live right on the water and they get to see those most beautiful sunsets from their deck (as well as the "strawberry ice cream cone".)

    I really miss having a LNS but have grown to deal with ordering things online. I like 123 Stitch the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful sampler!!

    I love the Victoria pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victoria is one of my favorite cities! Thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just catching up with you, wow, a lots been happening. I'm glad to see you typing again. Hope al is well, so sorry for your loss too. The sampler is sure a thing of beauty. I'm always so impressed with what you do. I LOVE Victoria. We haven't been there in about 10 years. The first time I went I was 10 years old and went with my parents. We've gone many times and always enjoy staying at the Empress Hotel. They just make you feel so special there. We've only been in the summer time. I bet they do a fabulous job of decorating the hotel at Christmas time. Take care and keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh! How long ago was this? I live in Vancouver and if there's a needlework shop that isn't half a world away, I need to visit! I love Victoria too but the cost to get over there within Canada is astronomical!! It's over $50 dollars for a car and two people! If they still sell needlework items there I might have to make another trip to Victoria. It's just a lovely city isn't it?! Love that sampler!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooo very pretty sampler and love your philosophy ..lol
    looks like you had a lovely trip too :) love mouse xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, you've moved on to typing, Barb! Sounds like progress is really being made :) I'm so happy that you're feeling better day by day...

    Lovely sampler--and what a beautiful trip that must have been. I so long to get out that way some day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful finish! I'm glad you are feeling well enough to type again. It's fun to hear about Victoria. I did the ferry trip from Seattle to Victoria a few years ago and it was great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A hello from Germany. Found your blog today. Lovely. Thanks for the pictures they bring back nice memories! Victoria is a wonderful town. I like your stitching.
    Have a nice day!
    Greetings, Gabi

    ReplyDelete