Wednesday, February 1, 2012

More coverlets plus one quilt

I've been busy today! I volunteer at a local school. I work in a 4th/5th highly capable classroom. They are having their yearly play tomorrow night. This is a very big production. It is at the local high school and they have been practicing for weeks. I have been on script and that means getting up early and out!! I'm thinking retirement has made me VERY LAZY. I did this almost every day for many years! The play is tomorrow night! On Fri. I think I'll just sleep in. I hope to have a update on Rebecca Robinson tomorrow. So far it's going well. It is the biggest sampler I've done in a long time. Well, anyway several folks mentioned the coverlets so I thought I'd show a few more.Thanks for the very kind comments, and thanks for taking a look!

This is probably the oldest coverlet that we own. I bought it from a family when we lived in upstate New York many years ago. That's the SBA's prize mug collection on the shelf.

A close up of the New York coverlet.

This is about 2 feet by 4 feet. We found it at an antique shop in Kentucky. It's not that old but it looks good on an old blanket chest that I put family pictures on.

This is a label that is on the piece. We visited Berea several times when we lived in Louisville.

This is a very old quilt. I was with a good friend when she purchased the quilt. I told her that if she ever wanted to get rid of the quilt to let me know. Well, she made a huge error!!! She put the quilt in a plastic bag in the attic. It was in perfect condition when she bought it. When she took it out for me, she found brown spots on the quilt(known as foxing). She lowered the price way down so I still bought it. It's probably late 1800's.

You can sort of see a brown area. What a pity! I love old textiles so I still love the quilt. It is beautifully hand pieced and hand quilted.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barb!
    Your coverlets and quilt are very lovely.
    It sounds like you are too busy to get into any trouble :)
    Happy Thursday!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are soooo beautiful! By the way, I love the heart wallpaper on your blog. So darn cute. I've been in a lousy mood today. Things are just irritating me - so I stopped and just decided to sit here and visit my blogging pals. This has put me in a better mood. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete