Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Trip to Mt. Walker

I want to thank all of my new followers!!  For everyone, I so appreciate you and the time you take in this very busy life to read my blog!! Thank you so very much!!!!  I think today's post will be a treat!  This Sat. is suppose to be the last really nice day we have for awhile-the rain is coming back!  So the SBA and I decided to take a ride to Mt. Walker.  It is on the West side of Hood Canal, a part of Puget Sound. It is the only mountain facing Puget Sound that has a road to the top! Since the SBA and I are NOT mountain climbers we decided to take the road trip. The state flower is the wild Rhododendron.   Mt. Walker is known to have a lot of them growing wild in the woods. 

 This is a view from the road going up to the top.


 Form the top, there were amazing views of the Olympic Mountains.

Glaciers from the last ice age carved Puget Sound and all of these inlets including the Hood Canal.




 We had to get about half way down before you saw the Rhododendron.  They were still in bud at the top.

This is how they look in the woods.



 Can you imagine this is a wild plant?


Tomorrow, I'll show some of the other wild flowers and some other fun things we saw along the way. "Penny America" is almost done!!! I hope you are all having a wonderful week-end!!

8 comments:

  1. So pretty Barb - thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my eyes, the Pacific Northwest is the prettiest place on earth! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. Yea for Penny America!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such amazing tour and beautiful photos. Looking forward to seeing where you'll take us for Sunday tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a perfect day too Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures!!!! From my experience, I'm sure they don't come close to the views you saw.

    What a beautiful earth we have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your latest blog post just warmed my heart! I thank you for that. I live in Dubai but was born and raised in the PNW and I love it so much! I don't think there is a place on earth like it. I was missing it so much and you gave me a nice little taste. xx Analisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such delicate flowers to be growing wild. Looks like a fun day spent outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! We've yet to visit Mt. Walker - and it looks beautiful. Good for you guys for getting out and having fun! but, I was looking forward to a post on Viking Fest?! (hehe)

    ReplyDelete