Saturday, October 22, 2011

Tom Jones Pumpkins

Tom Jones is a wonderful potter in Fairhope, AL. We have been visiting his studio for several years. My dear Step-Mom lives near Fairhope and while visiting her , we found Tom and his pottery. Each year he makes a series of collectible pumpkins. The very plain one in the back was one of his first. Each year he chooses a different glaze. My favorite is the red glaze(back far left). I haven't gotten my pumpkin this year as I think I ordered too late. The pumpkins are highly collectible. I tried to order in early Sept. and they had already sold out. He makes several hundred each year. Maybe I'll try in July next year!!!! This years glaze was light blue and he called it Alabama Skies. I think I would have put it upstairs. I don't think the light blue would have gone with all these earth tones. If you want to see more of Tom's work go to his web site at www.tomjonespottery.net. But don't expect to buy this years pumpkin!!

Tom says he can't make a scary pumpkin. They just don't turn out well!

As the years went by, I noticed that he put in more details.

This is a later pumpkin-sort of a brown glaze.

I do like this mottled green guy. Probably a bit earlier than the detailed ones.

He has three sizes. This is a small one.

Very early in the pumpkin making time.

A happy guy with a matte brown glaze.

In the back, my favorite red.

I put the pumpkins on one of my favorite antiques. This is a blanket chest from the very late 1700's or early 1800's. I use orange lights and a black and orange garland.

This antique mirror from Kentucky is over the chest.
The only pumpkin missing from this picture is my white one. That was on an earlier blog and it sits on my desk. That's another of my favorites.
Thanks for taking a look. Only a few short days till the BIG day!!

1 comment:

  1. We have one of these beautiful pumpkins, and the artist did such a wonderful job with the facial features that our dog growled at it every time we put it out.
    Can't wait to see all these awesome decorations on Halloween!

    ReplyDelete